It is that time again. Time for me to get weird in a van with 5 other people, earn some blisters, and live off protein bars and peanut butter for the next day and a half. It’s time for Ragnar DC 2015! I am racing again this year with a team of 12, some new, some old teammates from the last go round. I will be in Van 2 again as Runner 10 (I was number 9 last year). I was initially supposed to run a 5.9 mile leg, a 3.5 mile leg and then a 7.2 mile leg. BUT, with the change in course this year they chopped my last leg to only 1.8 miles and gave the remaining mileage to runners 11 and 12 (sorry guys). I am a little bummed since I was initially training for a 7 mile leg but with how my body feels recently I might be better off with less miles.
Another obstacle this year is the infamous Hurricane Joaquin. It is planned to rain the entire race. Some people are panicking, others are relishing in the challenge. I am somewhere in-between. The most challenging part may be strategic packing for the cold and wet weather.
Things I Packed:
- Headlamp & vest
- Team t-shirt and post-run outfit
- 3 running outfits (one to be worn out)
- Two pairs of sneakers
- Runners stick
- Yoga mat
- Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
- Towels (two hand, one small beach)
- Phone charger for car
- Rain jacket
- Pillow and blanket
As for nutrition, I went lighter this year. I didn’t want to overload with food and we figured we could stop if there was an extreme emergency for food.
- 5 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (actually 3 of these, 1 was PB and honey and another was almond butter and jelly) Which also, I used Ezekiel bread and P28 Signature Blend Spread
- Quest bars (2 apple pie, 2 pumpkin pie)
- BCAA drink mix for post run recovery ( I use A-10 by EVolution)
- Trader Joe’s peanut butter filled pretzels
- Beef jerky
- Water (2 gallon jug to share, 1 gallon for myself to start)
Now it’s off to the races! 6am wake up for me to get to our exchange by 11am.
Ragnar or bust,